From RHJunior Comics Wiki
Wildcard is the bright purple sword wielded by Quentyn, son of Quinn, in Tales of the Questor. Originally purchased by Quentyn from Merchant Max's Used Item Emporium during a drunken spree, it was thought to be junk but proved more significant over time. Prior to that purchase, it was likely used as a practice artifact, a tool to practice enchanting items. This (and the fact it was broken in two) should have caused the weapon to be useless, too riddled with partial enchantments for any to be used without another disrupting it. Master Rillcreek, examining the sword for the first time, said, "As magic weapons go, it's little more than a pointy, purple night-light." Yet during this same drunken binge, Kestrel lux-bonded Quentyn to the sword, an effect which allows him to have a certain amount of control over it and prevents others from using it. However, should Quentyn be separated from the sword for extended periods, the bond causes a distracting mental "itch" of increasing severity, and destruction of the blade might cause a violent and potentially lethal backlash. Also, the sword attempts to rejoin Quentyn on its own power upon long separations, or when he is agitated or in danger. In addition to the bonding, Quentyn, Kestrel, and Fen added enchantments to the sword which were - up to that point - unknown to the Racconnan luxcrafters. These enchantments, similar to what appears to be boolean logic, allow the sword to employ numerous different enchantments without them interfering with one another. While this allows for great versatility, Quentyn has heretofore been unable to discover a means of controlling which power gets used. Wildcard initially had a vestigial enchantment from Max's store that caused it to shout out advertisements for the shop at seemingly random moments, though this was nullified upon Quentyn's naming of the sword.
Wildcard has demonstrated the following powers:
- Flight to Quentyn's person (so far during extreme need)
- Razor sharpness/cutting ability
- Announcing the current time, incorrectly
- Lightning-like electrical bolts
- Bright green sparkles (of uncertain effect on the target stone)
- Random sounds traveling from the blade
- Firing an unknown glowing blade-like crescent
- Sonic boom
Wildcard's bonding rune is actually a heartrune.
- Hostile- the sword harms anyone who is not Quentyn who uses it.
- Exclusive to Quentyn with no transferrant parameters.
- Locatable and Analytical: Quentyn can determine the sword's location and condition. Unknown whether the same is true in reverse. Hostility of the sword might make kenning through it difficult.
- Side Effects: Separation causes discomfort but not harm. Extreme distance or agitation causes the sword to seek Quentyn on its own. Damage reaction is unknown.